Have you had a jones for ice cream, Richardson’s locally made ice cream, that is? And you don’t feel like driving to Richardson’s in Middleton? The Long Beach Dairy Maid on Thacher Raod is open for the season! The LB Dairy Maid also has dozens of soft serve flavors, and some new very unique ice cream flavors including Unicorn–I overheard that Unicorn has bubble gum and rainbow sprinkles in it–for the adventurous sorts.
Despite the 39 degree temperature, Charlotte and I stopped by for our first ice cream of the season. We met barefoot Maia and her Mom Sara in line. We’re all so ready for some spring-like weather 🙂
Looks great! The green and yellow is gone, replaced by a cohesive festive summer look, red and white stripes matched up with the blue and white.
Plus they’re heralding good news: SurfSide Subs and pizza & Ice Cream is the 2017 Rotary GHS Gloucester Interact Club‘s 10th Annual Pizza Taste Off (held at Cruiseport) winner – 3x!
1st place best overall
1st place best sauce
1st place best crust
Look for pizza specials on Wednesdays
The Long Beach Dairy Maid has reopened for the season and Frank, who runs both the Long Beach Dairy Maid and SurfSide Subs, says that SurfSide Subs is reopening on Thursday. Visit their website here. Did you know you can order from SurfSide Subs online? Or call 978-281-1700.
Hungry? Pack light. You’ll pass great sandwich shops, locally owned and operated, en route to Gloucester’s magnificent beaches. Jeff’s Variety can set you up for a good lunch to go wherever you’re headed including Good Harbor Beach, Long Beach, or the back shore. Jeff says that there are many repeat customers that come back each and every season–for years–on their way to Good Harbor Beach. IF you have a big group, you can order trays with finger sandwiches. Sandwich platters featuring Virgilio’s rolls need at least two days notice to prepare. They’re open Sundays. What else? “Yes!” the answer to my question if they have plenty of call ahead requests from cars caught in traffic. Passengers calling only, please!
Scroll down the post for a one-stop, sub-shopping Gloucester directory with phone numbers and links. I could add in our favorite choices from each place.
GLOUCESTER BEACHES SANDWICH DIRECTORY
*the great 2013 Good Morning Gloucester Italian sub winners
on the way to Gloucester’s GOOD HARBOR BEACH
on the way to Gloucester/ Rockport LONG BEACH
on the way downtown headed in any direction to Gloucester beaches: Pavilion, Cressy, Half Moon, Niles, Good Harbor
- Cafe Sicilia (978) 283-7345 sandwiches and pizza slices
- Cave (978) 283-0896 for baguette/cheese French picnic style fare
- Cupboard (978) 281-1908
- *Destino’s Subs
- Cape Ann Farmer’s Market (Thursdays) fresh produce & baguette/cheese French picnic style fare
- *Jeff’s Variety (978) 281-5800
- Leonardo’s (978) 281-7882
- Last Stop (978) 281-2616
- Mike’s (978) 282-0777
- Morning Glory (978) 281-1851
- Poseidons (978) 290-4313
- *Sclafanis (978) 283-6622
- *Virgilios (978) 283-5295
- Yellow Sub Shop (978) 281-2217
on the way to Gloucester’s NILES BEACH
- Last Stop (978) 281-2616
- Sailor Stan’s to go (978) 281-4470
on the way to Gloucester’s PLUM COVE BEACH / ANNISQUAM/ LANESVILLE
- Captain Hooks (978) 282-4665
- Plum Cove Grind (978) 281-3377
- Willow Rest sub and/or the farmer’s market fresh produce, cheese, specialty prepared meals picnic option (978)283-2417
on the way to Gloucester’s WINGAERSHEEK BEACH
- main concession stand at Gloucester’s Wingaersheek beach (978) 281-9785
- Annie’s Variety (978) 283-2887
- Marshall’s Farm Stand (picnic route rather than sandwich counter) (978) 283-2168 (pints of fruit, munchies, loaf artisan bread, mozzarella specialty cheeses)
I haven’t forgotten Magnolia–just missing Magnolia’s House of Pizza. ON Mondays there’s Cape Ann Farmer’s market for Magnolia. “M” for Mondays, “M” for Magnolia.