Wicked Bites TV visited Essex and Ipswich in a big way this month to review “Clam Alley”. Visitors often ask what is the best place for a lobster roll? and fried clams? “Clam Alley” extends throughout Cape Ann. In Gloucester there’s Charlie’s, Gloucester House, Lobsta Land (another gorgeous marsh vista), Captain Carlo’s, the Cupboard and Lobster Pool in Rockport to name a quick few…what else?
Wicked Bites is scheduled on Saturdays at 9:30am on NESN. From their sites:
“Hey, you better be ready for the next ALL NEW Wicked Bites TV. On today’s show we visit CLAM ALLEY for the very best fried clams in the world. And, we have some special guest: Kim Gilder Carrigan and VB from the WRKOmorning show.”
“Oh, the fried clam! Mike Wendt hits Essex, Massachusetts at J.T. Farnhamsfor fried clams, seafood and some incredible fish tacos.”
Wicked Bites reviewed the Village Restaurant (Sept 2016) and Causeway (Sept 2016)
Hungry? Pack light. You’ll pass great sandwich shops, locally owned and operated, en route to Gloucester’s magnificent beaches. Jeff’s Variety can set you up for a good lunch to go wherever you’re headed including Good Harbor Beach, Long Beach, or the back shore. Jeff says that there are many repeat customers that come back each and every season–for years–on their way to Good Harbor Beach. IF you have a big group, you can order trays with finger sandwiches. Sandwich platters featuring Virgilio’s rolls need at least two days notice to prepare. They’re open Sundays. What else? “Yes!” the answer to my question if they have plenty of call ahead requests from cars caught in traffic. Passengers calling only, please!
Scroll down the post for a one-stop, sub-shopping Gloucester directory with phone numbers and links. I could add in our favorite choices from each place.
GLOUCESTER BEACHES SANDWICH DIRECTORY
*the great 2013 Good Morning Gloucester Italian sub winners
on the way to Gloucester’s GOOD HARBOR BEACH
on the way to Gloucester/ Rockport LONG BEACH
on the way downtown headed in any direction to Gloucester beaches: Pavilion, Cressy, Half Moon, Niles, Good Harbor
- Cafe Sicilia (978) 283-7345 sandwiches and pizza slices
- Cave (978) 283-0896 for baguette/cheese French picnic style fare
- Cupboard (978) 281-1908
- *Destino’s Subs
- Cape Ann Farmer’s Market (Thursdays) fresh produce & baguette/cheese French picnic style fare
- *Jeff’s Variety (978) 281-5800
- Leonardo’s (978) 281-7882
- Last Stop (978) 281-2616
- Mike’s (978) 282-0777
- Morning Glory (978) 281-1851
- Poseidons (978) 290-4313
- *Sclafanis (978) 283-6622
- *Virgilios (978) 283-5295
- Yellow Sub Shop (978) 281-2217
on the way to Gloucester’s NILES BEACH
- Last Stop (978) 281-2616
- Sailor Stan’s to go (978) 281-4470
on the way to Gloucester’s PLUM COVE BEACH / ANNISQUAM/ LANESVILLE
- Captain Hooks (978) 282-4665
- Plum Cove Grind (978) 281-3377
- Willow Rest sub and/or the farmer’s market fresh produce, cheese, specialty prepared meals picnic option (978)283-2417
on the way to Gloucester’s WINGAERSHEEK BEACH
- main concession stand at Gloucester’s Wingaersheek beach (978) 281-9785
- Annie’s Variety (978) 283-2887
- Marshall’s Farm Stand (picnic route rather than sandwich counter) (978) 283-2168 (pints of fruit, munchies, loaf artisan bread, mozzarella specialty cheeses)
I haven’t forgotten Magnolia–just missing Magnolia’s House of Pizza. ON Mondays there’s Cape Ann Farmer’s market for Magnolia. “M” for Mondays, “M” for Magnolia.
The fish sandwich is an outstanding value at $4.95. They use sole which is an excellent fish for a fish sandwich.