Chris, Andy and I have just arrived in Loreto. As advised previously we are pretty damn excited to be taking part in the BBC Blue Planet Live Series. You can find more information on the show here: BBC Blue Planet Live. As I understand it the first show went live today, with Chris Packham and the crew in San Ignacio Lagoon. I have it on good faith that Chris was downwind of a grey whale and he got Snotted!
I made a mistake in my last e mail, I thought that there were three shows but it turns out there are four.
I am also excited but terrified to report that they have asked me to take part in the 4th live show on Sunday. So you can catch us on live TV on Wednesday the 27th (SnotBot with blue whales….🤞🤞) and Sunday 31st of March, EarBot and Humpback whales (🤞🤞). Right now my biggest concern is finding whales and good weather, preferably both at the same time, then of course not making a fool of myself on live TV.
For those of you not in England, there is a way to watch the show live on your computer, Chris says you have to get a VPN, which before last week I had never heard of. In short if the BBC website thinks that your computer is in England it will let you watch the show.
Clearly if you can’t watch the show live I am sure BBC will put it up on their website so I will send that information out next week.
So here we go – Get a VPN
- Download NordVPN 7 day free trial (https://free.nordvpn.com/trial/)
- Make sure to remember to cancel before the 7th day to avoid being charged $100+ for the 3 year subscription
- Alternatively, you can buy one month for $11.99
- After you’ve signed up for the trial, download and install the VPN app on your computer https://ucp.nordvpn.com/downloads
- Open the VPN app, log into your account
- Search for “United Kingdom” server in the country list
- Once connected to a server, now the internet thinks you are in the UK
Create BBC account
- Go to BBC iPlayer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer)
- Register for an account (https://account.bbc.com/signin)
- Choose United Kingdom as your country, and put in a UK postal code, this one should work: SW191AA
- Verify your email address with the email sent to you after registering
Watch BBC ONE
- Log back into BBC iPlayer and search for Blue Planet Live if it already aired, or if you’re trying to watch live go to channels and click on BBC ONE, then click “watch live”
- When asked if you have a TV License, click YES
- Press play
- If you get a message that says “This content doesn’t seem to be working” – go back to your VPN app and click United Kingdom again, it will give you a new server number, refresh BBC iPlayer and try again. You might need to try a few different UK servers before you get one that works.
I will try to send out a few blogs from our time here, until then….
Best Fishes from Loreto.
Cell: 978 760 1784