The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) 2019 grant recipients were announced this month. Poetry was competitive.
- For the NEA 2019 Artworks – 972 of 1605 eligible grants were funded (ranging from $10,000-$100,00 totaling more than $25 million)
- For the NEA 2019 Challenge America – 138 of 221 eligible applications to receive $10,000 each for a total of $1.38 million
- For the NEA 2019 Creative Writing Fellowships in poetry– 35 of 1700 eligible applicants (none having won an NEA fellowship before) to receive $25,000 each. “Visit the Arts Endowment’s Literature Fellowships webpage to read excerpts by and features on past Creative Writing Fellows and recipients of Literature Fellowships for translation projects.”
Comparison by state from N. Dakota 1 grant $30,000 to NYC 252 grants 6.8 million
Here are the details for Massachusetts 40 grants totaling $1,085,000. In 2019 there were three projects awarded on the North Shore: RAW Beverly; Decordova Museum; and PYD in Somerville.
- Arts Are Essential, Inc. $20,000 Acton, MA
Art Works — Presenting & Multidisciplinary Works To support the creation of animation components for The Forgotten Kingdom performance project.
- Massachusetts Review (aka The Massachusetts Review)
$10,000 Amherst, MA Art Works — Literature
To support the publication and promotion of an anthology of international writing.
- Trustees of Amherst College (on behalf of Folger Shakespeare Library) $25,000 Amherst, MA Art Works — Theater
To support Folger Theatre’s production of Nell Gwynn, a new play by Jessica Swale.
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, Inc. (aka The Pillow)
$90,000 Becket, MA Art Works — Dance
To support presentations and creative development and research for dance artists at The Pillow.
- Boston Ballet, Inc.
$50,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Dance
To support Full On Forsythe, a repertory evening of dance works by William Forsythe.
- Boston Baroque, Inc.
$15,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Opera
To support a period-instrument production of L’incoronazione di Poppea (The Coronation of Poppea) by Claudio Monteverdi with related community engagement programming.
- Boston Center for the Arts, Inc.
$20,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Presenting & Mulidisciplinary Works
To support an artist residency program for dance.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc.
$75,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Music
To support the world premiere performances of works by composers Thomas Adès and Sebastian Currier with related community engagement activities.
- Boston University (on behalf of Boston University Tanglewood Institute)
$20,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support the Tanglewood Institute’s Young Artists Orchestra and Young Artists Wind Ensemble.
- Boston University (on behalf of AGNI Magazine)
$15,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Literature
To support the publication and promotion of the journal AGNI and related content online.
- Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras, Inc. (aka BYSO)
$45,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support the Intensive Community Program, a string instrument training program serving students in Boston communities.
- Design Museum Boston Inc (aka Design Museum Foundation)
$45,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Design
To support a publication Bespoke Bodies: The Design and Craft of Prosthetics.
- Emerson College (on behalf of Ploughshares)
$10,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Literature
To support payments to writers, editorial salary costs, and the printing of the journal Ploughshares.
- Handel & Haydn Society
$45,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Music
To support a semi-staged production of Purcell’s opera Dido and Aeneas and lesser-known works with related community engagement programming.
- Huntington Theatre Company, Inc.
$30,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Theater
To support a production of Indecent by Paula Vogel.
- Institute of Contemporary Art (aka The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston)
$40,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Museums
To support the exhibition Huma Bhabha.
- MASS Design Group LTD
$20,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Design
To support an exhibition and community design workshops to change perceptions of Poughkeepsie’s Fall Kill Creek.
- Project STEP, Inc.
$55,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support an intensive string music training program for youth.
- Wang Center for the Performing Arts Inc. (aka Boch Center)
$20,000 Boston, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support the Boch Center’s City Spotlights Teen Leadership Program, an arts-based work-study program.
- American Repertory Theatre (aka American Repertory Theater)
$30,000 Cambridge, MA Art Works — Musical Theater
To support the world premiere of American Music, a new musical with book and lyrics by Jane Mendelsohn and music by Ellis Ludwig-Leone.
- Community Art Center, Inc.
$35,000 Cambridge, MA Art Works — Presenting & Multidisciplinary Works
To support an arts education program for youth.
- Yard, Inc. (aka The Yard)
$30,000 Chilmark, MA Art Works — Dance
To support YARD ARTS’ artist research residencies and related community education and engagement activities.
- Vigorous Interventions in Ongoing Natural Settings, Inc. (aka VISIONS)
$10,000 Dorchester, MA Challenge America
To support a series of free jazz concerts and community art activities featuring The Makanda Project.
- Fitchburg Art Museum
$25,000 Fitchburg, MA Art Works — Museums
To support the exhibition Fire and Light: Otto Piene’s Groton 1983-2014 and an accompanying catalogue.
- Young at Heart Chorus, Incorporated
$10,000 Florence, MA Art Works — Presenting & Multidisciplinary Works
To support Crossroads, a collaboration with the Chicago Children’s Choir.
- Community Adolescent Resources and Education Center (aka The Care Center)
$10,000 Holyoke, MA Challenge America
To support a series of readings and artist talks by poets and writers, developed in collaboration with the Smith College Poetry Center.
- A Far Cry
$10,000 Jamaica Plain, MA Art Works — Music
To support a series of concerts and related community engagement activities that highlight American artists.
- BalletRox, Inc.
$20,000 Jamaica Plain, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support a community dance program for youth from underserved communities.
- DeCordova & Dana Museum & Park (aka DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum)
$35,000 Lincoln, MA Art Works — Museums
To support the exhibition and catalogue, Visionary New England.
- Raw Art Works, Inc. (aka RAW)
$35,000 Lynn, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support a media arts education program for youth.
- New Bedford Fishing Heritage Center
$20,000 New Bedford, MA Art Works — Folk & Traditional Arts
To support a year-long series of presentations, exhibits, and artist residencies celebrating the expressive culture of New Bedford’s maritime community.
- Zeiterion Theatre, Inc. (aka The Z)
$10,000 New Bedford, MA Art Works — Presenting & Multidisciplinary Works
To support a multidisciplinary performing arts series.
- Chen, Chen
$25,000 Newton, MA Literature Fellowships: Creative Writing — Literature
- Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art Foundation, Inc. (aka MASS MoCA)
$30,000 North Adams, MA Art Works — Museums
To support the commissioning of two new works by artists Trenton Doyle Hancock (b. 1974) and Cauleen Smith (b. 1967) at MASS MoCA.
- Tupelo Press, Inc.
$20,000 North Adams, MA Art Works — Literature
To support the publication and promotion of books of poetry, essays, and fiction.
- Earthdance Creative Living Project, Inc
$20,000 Plainfield, MA Art Works — Artist Communities
To support artists residencies and local community engagement.
- Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, Inc. (aka FAWC)
$20,000 Provincetown, MA Art Works — Artist Communities
To support fellowships for emerging writers and visual artists.
- Partners for Youth with Disabilities, Inc. (aka PYD)
$20,000 Somerville, MA Art Works — Arts Education
To support after-school and summer performing arts workshops and classes for youth.
- Music Worcester
$10,000 Worcester, MA Art Works — Music
To support an artist residency project featuring pianist Simone Dinnerstein.
- Worcester Center for Performing Arts (aka The Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts) $10,000 Worcester, MA Challenge America
To support a musical theater performance and related arts education activities for Worcester public high schools.
“Some details of the grants listed are subject to change, contingent upon prior National Endowment for the Arts approval. Information is current as of 2/8/2019. Visit the NEA’s Recent Grant Search for additional project details for NEA grants.”
Apply now for FY2020