by Jay Fitzgerald, Special to the Journal
Boston Business Journal
Updated: Tuesday, July 17, 2012
An unexpectedly abundant catch this spring of soft-shell lobsters has finally begun to force down the price of lobster at restaurants and retail stores – much to the delight of consumers.
“We’re doing fabulous,” said Myalisa Waring, owner of the Lobster Pool restaurant in Rockport. “We’re serving lobsters like crazy. Everyone’s coming in and talking about the prices and want lobsters.”
“I haven’t seen catches like this in years,” said Frank Ciaramitaro, co-owner of Captain Joe & Sons Inc., a Gloucester wholesale dealer that buys lobsters direct from lobstermen on the docks. “For us, it’s been a record.”
Even though lobstermen began catching higher numbers of soft-shell lobsters in early June – about a month earlier than usual, creating an unexpectedly large surplus of lobsters early in the season – the retail prices for lobsters initially and generally held steady across much of Massachusetts through last week.
Cick here for full article
Click to view the slideshow-
Jujuba, became missing on Summit street in Gloucester last Friday night. If anyone finds her or knows anything PLEASE call Jessica at 978 879 6623 or 978 930 2704. She is very loved and we are VERY worried.
I know what it is like to have a missing pet. I am hoping someone found this dog and fell in love with it. I also am hoping if this is the case that they will show some love and return it to its owner. The police said to give it up because there has been reports of a coyote in the area.The owner and friends have not given up. They continue to search, posters are up around town and it has been posted on some websites too.
Need to grab some sandwiches for the beach or a quick meal after work? Take advantage of this Living Social deal for What’s Cookin? Pay $15 for a $30 credit.
They make awesome sandwiches and I’ve heard they also carry great meats for the grill.
Get the deal HERE or check them out at 185 Washington St. (Across from George’s).
Just sending some photos I took in San Francisco. One is representing from the Ferry Terminal looking at the Oakland Bay Bridge, the other is representing with a California homie. Enjoy!
Check out the new map from Block Party Committee with all 5 stages. Remember the Block Party is this Saturday. And we’ve got an updated entertainment schedule below the map:
- 6 PM – THE DYNAMIC DUO – Show, classics and some Italian tunes. Guest appearance by Gloucester student, 9 year old Kam Diaz
- 7 PM – TH’ BONES AND ROSES CIRCUS SIDESHOW – Astounding and varied side show feats and acrobatic yoga
- 8 PM – NOT THAT BLONDE WITH JIM D’AUGUSTINE – Acoustic group with rich harmonies and an inimitable style. A wide mix of songs from the familiar to the obscure.
- 9 PM – THE GOOD HARBOR BAND – Rocking with classic rock and originals – get ready to dance!
- 6 PM – LIVIN’ ON LUCK – Soft rock from the 70s to the present; guitars, keyboard and vocals.
- 7 PM – CAPE ANN DANCE TROUPE – Our gifted and graceful dance group – creative choreography
- 8 PM – ALLEN AND DYLAN ESTES – National star Allen Estes joined by his talented son performing brilliant country, rock, blues and original tunes.
- 9 PM – DAY JOB – Dance music from the 60s to today; fun listening and they will get you moving!
MYSTERY TRAIN STAGE
- 6 PM – JAMES GOOD EYE – Acoustic guitar, alternate-roots Americana
- 7 PM – DEB HARDY AND KERRY MULLEN – Cutting edge acoustic folk rock uniquely interpreted
- 8 PM – SOLOMON MURUNGU – Traditional music from Zimbabwe played on the melodic Mbira
- 9 PM – NATE SHAFFER – Gifted acoustic guitarist/singer playing originals and covers. Emerging young talent from Cape Ann.
AT THE FRANKLIN CAFÉ
- THE LINDA AMERO QUARTET – Jazz interpretations by extraordinary chanteuse Linda and her trio.
AT THE DOG BAR
- JOE MACK – Blues master! This guy never runs out of musical ideas, and what a voice! 9 PM at the back stage.
Dancers, singers and our favorite magician, Joe Howard will be roaming Main Street.
VISIT KIDS’ TOWN FOR GAMES, FACEPAINTING, KID SNACKS AND MORE!
After the Block Party winds down, many Gloucester venues will continue music into the wee hours, so there’s no reason to go home when the music on the street ends. One of my favorite bands (KBMG Electric) will be heating things up at Minglewood Tavern.
See the complete Saturday music lineup here.