On the Neck
Resident Artist/Teacher Ilana Manolson Workshops
Distinguished Artist/Teacher in Residence, Ilana Manolson will be in residence on Rocky Neck for one week during August 9-13th and during that time will teach small groups and meet with individual artists to discuss their work.
The Monoprinting workshop is filled but there may be spaces available in the painting workshop and critique.Sign up for a one-on-one critique of your work either at your studio (if it is on Rocky Neck or very nearby) or you can bring some work to the Residency Studio. Time to be arranged.
There is also a free painting demonstration at the Residency Studio (51A Rocky Neck Avenue) from 1-2pm on Wednesday, August 11th. The plein air painting class follows from 2-5pm at the public landing under the trees on Wonson Street. Spaces may still be available in this class.
For more information see http://rockyneckartcolony.org/workshops.html.
To sign up for a class or critique, e-mail Ruth Mordecai at email@example.com.
Beaux Arts Auction Preview Art Show
Rocky Neck Gallery, Ann Fisk Room, August 6 – 11
THURSDAY, August 5: Nights on the Neck, 5:30 to 9pm
Performers and entertainers include:
- Three Sheets to the Wind, a group of local musicians and Schooner Adventure crew members, are preserving the history of maritime work songs (chanteys) and forebitter songs.
- Carol St. John will explain how graphology (the study of handwriting) works, talk about appropriate uses, and call for participants to contribute handwritings to demonstrate its validity for a fun, friendly, positive event.
- Rick Drost began singing with a Kingston Trio-style group in high school, continued in a small folk group in college, then a glee club, and an opera chorus. He started writing and singing around coffeehouses in DC and New England in the ‘70s, finally settling in Cambridge, MA, where he was a member of the folk-rock group Parts and Labor. He performs at least once a week, wherever he goes.
- Catherine Strisik, daughter of well-known Rockport artist Paul Stisik, has been active in the writing community of Taos, New Mexico, for over 26 years. Her poems have appeared in numerous publications including The Cafe Review, The Comstock Review, Peregrine, Northwest Review, War, Literature and the Arts, and others. Her new book, Thousand-Cricket Song, from which she will be reading, is receiving much acclaim. This book of poetry gives a glimpse, through Strisik’s eyes, into Cambodian life 25 years after the Khmer Rouge slaughter of 1.7 million Cambodians through execution, disease and starvation. "Here is a perfect, clean and delicate (powerful and often terrifying) work of art," said John Nichols, author of The Milagro Beanfield War.
- Laura Dow / Zumba. Working out can be healthy, rewarding, and beneficial; it can be lots of things, but it’s never been known to be an exhilarating experience… until Zumba! The Zumba program fuses Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a fitness program that will blow you away. Laura will present three Zumba rhythms ~ Salsa, Tango, and Flamenco~ to give you a taste of the program that’s taking the world by storm.
I S L A beach house
Fabulous, Fun, Chic
seaside apparel & accessories
begins Thursday August 5th
shop early…while supplies last!
DON’T MISS OUR COCKTAIL PARTY
this Thursday night from 6-9 pm!
SOFT COTTON RIB TANKS
Straw Totes & Cotton Beach Cloths
hand made in Tunisia
Jewelry and Scarves
includes LOVE SHOP silk scarves, cashmere & more
I S L A beach house
77 Rocky Neck Avenue ( on the MADFISH wharf)
Gloucester, MA 01930
Weiler Photo Gallery : A Paris Portfolio
The Weiler Photo Gallery Exhibiting “A Paris Portfolio” through August.
Please visit us on weekends or by appointment or check out “A Paris Portfolio” on our website.
77 Rocky Neck Ave, "Madfish Alley", Gloucester
SEPT 3-6: Four Friends Art Exhibit at Kismet Wharf
Barbara Dugan, Joan Frank, Barbara McLaughlin and Marie Sweeney will exhibit their paintings from September 3 to 6 at Kismet Wharf, 51A Rocky Neck Ave.
Reception: Friday, Sept 3, 5:30-8pm
Beaux Arts Ball Silent Auction Donations
Deadline for drop-off of non-art donations, August 7
The Silent Auction, in conjunction with the annual Beaux Arts Ball, will be held on Thursday, August 12 at The Studio Restaurant on Rocky Neck.
To donate any Auction Item other than original artwork, Download the Auction Donation Form. fill it out and drop off along with your auction item at the Accommodations on Rocky Neck office.
We thank you for your support in this endeavor. The silent auction is the single biggest fundraiser for the RNAC and we greatly appreciate your time and effort to make it possible.
Rocky Neck Art Colony General Meeting, Tuesday, August 10, 6:30 pm
The next general meeting of the Rocky Neck Art Colony will be held at 6:30pm on Tuesday, August 10 in the Rocky Neck Gallery, 53 Rocky Neck Ave. All members are encouraged to attend. Agenda:
- Approval of Minutes of July 2010 general meeting
- Marketing Report (Judy)
- Finance Report (Mona, Sharon)
- Nights on the Neck (Amanda)
- Beaux Arts Ball (Sigrid)
- Rocky Neck Gallery (Judy)
- Residency Program (Ruth)
- Members Juried Show (Marie)
- Grants (Mary/Karen)
- Board Development (Karen)
- Nominations for Officers (as of July 30):
President: Karen Ristuben
Treasurer: Mona Faherty
Secretary: Ann McKay
Marketing Director: Barbara McLaughlin
- Other business
Rocky Neck Art Colony Member’s Show, October 2 to 16
The Rocky Neck Art Colony will hold a Fall Member’s Show that will be on exhibit from October 2 to 16 at the Rocky Neck Gallery. All Rocky Neck Art Colony Members are encouraged to submit one or two pieces of their BEST WORK. There is no submission fee.
Rules for submission:
- Media accepted includes painting (acrylic, oils, watercolor), mixed media and assemblage, photography, sculpture (including ceramic sculpture), printmaking, drawing.
- Members can submit one large piece up to 40" wide (and 54" high). or two smaller pieces that together are not wider than 40".
- If more pieces are submitted than will fit in the Rocky Neck Gallery, then an outside juror will help decide which pieces will hang together to create a unified show
- Drop off date and times: Thursday, Sept. 30 from 6 pm to 8pm and Friday, October 1 from 10am to Noon.
- All 2D work must be professionally framed, wired and ready to hang.
- All people submitting work are required to gallery sit one time for 1 to 2 hours during the show.
- Work may be for sale (but it is not required). If anything sells, the Art Colony will keep 25% commission.
RNAC Jeweler, Rachel Somers, exhibiting with Harpy Fashion
Judythe Meagher, Solo Show at NSAA, AUG 16-31
Judythe Evans Meagher is having a Solo Show at the Gordon Grant Room of the North Shore Arts Association from August 16 – 31, with a reception on Friday, August 20th from 5 -8 pm.
THUR, August 12, Ruth Mordecai in Rewind, The Former Fort Point Artists Show
Between Painting and Sculpture, 2010 oil and collage on gessoed paper 60" x 40" by Ruth Mordecai
Ruth Mordecai’s work will be part of a group show to celebrate those who once had studios in the Fort Point district of Boston, MA. "Rewind, The Former Fort Point Artists Show" opening reception 7:00 pm on August 12th, 2010 at 12 Farnsworth* Street, Fort Point, Boston.
The exhibition includes Harriet Casdin-Silver, Christopher Sprout, Roger Kizik, Deborah Davidson, among others. The show continues through September 17th.
*Farnsworth Street runs off of Congress Street one block from the Children’s Museum.
Tuesday Watercolor Classes by Ed Touchette
Watercolor painting classes by Ed Touchette, 4 hour sessions (9am to 1pm)
Tuesdays, August 7, 14
For ages 16 or older. Classes limited to 6 students. Instructions at your level. Reservations are required.
Cost: $75 per session
North Shore Arts Summer Workshops
Lynda Goldberg – August 5, 6 – “Creating Monotypes with an Etching Press” Explore the process of creating monotype (one-of-a-kind) prints on paper. Students will learn general printmaking techniques using an etching press. Incorporating the elements and principles of design students will create prints using natural and man made objects. Students will explore different ways of creating texture and depth on an inked surface. Using the plates created and pulled, students will have the original print, a “ghosted” print, and a third print utilizing what is left on the plate. The possibilities are endless! Limit 6.
Member $150 Non-Member $170
Lynn Loscutoff – August 7, 8, 9 – “Watercolor on Yupo” This workshop is geared towards intermediate and experienced painters or the beginner who likes a challenge. Students will be working on “YUPO” paper, a synthetic coated paper which works in a very organic way. Paint moves and blends and leads to an even greater creative experiences.
Member $225 Non-Member $255
Frank Federico – August 7, 8, 9 – “The Painterly Pastel” *9:00am-3:00pm Award winning artist, Frank Federico, is holding a three-day plein air pastel workshop. During this workshop, Federico will show students how he focuses on the essence of a landscape or figure, while applying emotional and aesthetically crafted content in the pastel medium. Limit 18. http://www.frankfederico.com
Member $225 Non-Member $255
All workshops will meet on site at NSAA from 10:00am to 4:00pm unless otherwise noted.
Please register early to insure yourself a place in any of the workshops. Participants may register and pay online via PayPal by clicking on the ‘Add to Cart’ buttons below each workshop listing or print out a WORKSHOP REGISTRATION FORM and mail it with a check to:
North Shore Arts Association, 11 Pirates Lane, Gloucester, MA 01930
Richard Seeley received the Peoples Choice award from the Rockport Art Association, Second Summer Show for his photograph: “Whoooo’s Down There?”