Building Center Piling Field

Click any picture on the blog and then select “all sizes” to see it full size and in great clarity.

Building Center Piling Field, originally uploaded by captjoe06.

This underutilized piling field is a direct result of lousy zoning that does not allow for any recreational boat dockage.

Under the proposal from the waterfront stakeholders, the owner of this site could build newly permitted dockage on this site if they would provide newly built fishing boat tie up spots on 25% of whatever could be created and 75% of anything newly created could be for recreational boat dockage. Right now zero of this space can be used for recreational boat dockage and it is a direct reason why the site sits fallow and underutilized.

If the property owner could create that 75% of newly created dockage for recreational slips in a site where he could never finance and make the project work financially based on 100% fishing boat dockage this site could be improved and pay more taxes to the city.

To simplify-

Whatever fishing boat dockage that exists does not get displaced as to protect the baseline of what we have for the fishing industry right now.

Whatever can be created new in unused waterfront space the property owner would need to provide 25% of that newly created dockage strictly for new commercial boat slips. The other 75% of the newly created dockage could be used for recreational boats.

The 75% of newly created recreational boat dockage would subsidize the 25% commercial boat non profitable dockage. Without allowing the recreational boat component then sites like this never get developed. How could it be if it wasn’t allowed a use that is profitable?

2 thoughts on “Building Center Piling Field

  1. Hi captjoe, thanks for this photo and section. It’s easy to see that it is underutilized.

    One question: how was the 25/75 split arrived at? Was it based on a financial analysis of the costs to build new dockage, the fee income projected from commercial tie-ups, and the fee income projected from recreational tie-ups? And that 25/75 was the right split to guarantee the initial investment and yearly maintenance/improvement of the dockage would be recouped from the yearly income, plus profit overhead?

    If so, is that background analysis available to the public? Speaking for myself, as a non-fishing, non-boat-owner person (“clueless” as someone called me on a GT blog. :-), how could I judge that the 25/75 split is “right”? Why not 40/60? Or 50/50?

    I think it’s prudent to have the analysis assume that there is no increase in commercial fishing boats year to year. (That’s the conservative approach, to assume no increase in that area.) However, the desire for recreational is known to be greater *and* that means that that side would pay more for a tie up. So how would the financial calculations prove out if it were a 50/50 split, with the recreational tie-ups costing more per tie up, so that the income from rec would cover the lower income from the commercial tie ups?

    On a pure gut feeling level, the 25/75 split “looks” punishing to fishing. I’m not saying that it is in reality. I’m saying that without some sample numbers that show the 25/75 split is logical based on data, people could interpret those numbers as being an overall downside for the fishing industry.


  2. Thea the 75/25 is only for newly created dockage. Whatever we have for a baseline now for commercial dockage could not be displaced. That is to insure the fishermen that there could only be more dockage available to them, not less.

    This is the big fear with any change, that the fishermen would be displaced, but if we can show that our plan would actually increase the number of commercial tie up spots then everyone wins.


Leaving a comment rewards the author of this post- add to the discussion here-

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s